Thursday, February 8, 2018

Submission 4

Comedian Bio
Todd El Holley is 53. He has been doing mainly open mic for the last year at a small club in Pullman, WA called Etsi Bravo.

Story
I had done my first paying gig at a bar in Lewiston, ID. They asked me to do an hour which was insane as I had never done over 18 minutes, but I pulled everything that I had together and practiced my ass off. I get there and the place is packed and the sound is fucked. They had disconnected the karaoke system for the opening guitar player and I was left with 2 small PA’s on the stage. Nobody sitting over 20 feet away could hear shit. I gutted through it and they swore to me that in 2 weeks if I wanted to do it, they would have the sound fixed. A week later the manager calls and says that the sound is fixed and they're having a wake for a local popular bartender if I wanted to do a few minutes and check out the system. I had my doubts but he assured me that there would be about 200 people who all worked in the industry and would appreciate dark humor. By the time I got there, however, there were about 25 friends and family members left and they were on the mic telling stories about this guy who I had never met. AND, they had disconnected the sound for the DJ’s bass cab, which all the sound was coming from. The manager introduces me and as I'm walking to the stage, someone else was like, “I have a story about Joe.” So, I stood down and let them go. By the time I got onstage, half of the people that were left were outside smoking and the rest couldn't hear shit because they were on the far side of the bar. I told 4 jokes and the DJ chuckled a couple times. I figured it could never get worse, and so far, it hasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment